A good many do them with varying results. New Year’s Resolutions are such a tradition that I am not even sure how seriously we really take them. Never-the-less according to a study by the University of Scranton/Psychology Department here are the top 10 favorite New Year’s Resolutions (in the order of popularity) that many of us profess we will do at the beginning of a New Year.
- Lose weight
- Get organized
- Spend less, Save more
- Enjoy life to the fullest
- Staying fit and healthy
- Learn something exciting
- Quit smoking
- Help others in their dreams
- Fall in love
- Spend more time with family
How it all plays is within the first week of the New Year, 75% are engaged in working on their resolutions. By the sixth month that number drops to 46% and continues to drop as the year wears on.
What are the success rates for varying type of resolutions? I found this interesting.
- Self improvement or education resolutions 47%
- Weight related resolutions 38%
- Money related resolutions 34%
- Relationship related resolutions 31%
So it would appear the we are much more inclined to educate ourselves or learn something new and lose weight then we are in taking care of our finances or personal relationships.
So what are my explicit resolutions? All of the above except #7 and #9 because I don’t smoke and I am very happily married. My order is not the same because in some cases I am doing pretty well and just need to stay the course. In others I need to put some effort into achieving greater success. Then there is the one that is uniquely mine.
So what is my order?
- Spend time with family and friends
- Learn something new and exciting
- Enjoy life to fullest everyday
- Help others acheive their dreams
- Launch my new website by the end of January.
- Continue to lose weight
- Stay fit and healthy with daily exercise
- Get more organized – specifically clean out my garage
- Find saving wherever possible
So wish me luck that I will fall into the 8% that actually achieve my desired results.
What are some of your resolutions? Are they among the top ten? Do you have some that are uniquely yours?