It happens; I run out of time and find myself in need of a quick solution for a fun treat for future activities or unexpected visitors. That’s what prompted me to create these cute Ice Cream Treats In A Jar.
These are great to make ahead and freeze for parties, outdoor events, BBQ’s or just to have on hand when in need of an instant treat. They are easy to make and great fun to serve when unexpected guests pop in.
Ice Cream Treats In A Jar
Ingredients: Makes 8 – 8oz. jars
- 2 tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1 cup Oreo or Chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
- Ice Cream of choice
- Chocolate fudge sauce
- Cool Whip
- Chopped nuts of choice
- Maraschino Cherries
Crush the cookies and combine the crumbs with the melted butter. Place 1½ tablespoons of the butter crumb mixture in the bottom of each jar. Press the mixture firmly to create a crust and set aside.
Warm the fudge sauce until it’s runny. Pour a thin layer of the chocolate fudge sauce over the cookie crust. Sprinkle a tablespoon or so of the chopped nuts on top. Gently press them into the chocolate fudge sauce. Chill in the fridge to set.
Soften the ice cream a bit and add a nice size scoop of ice cream on top. Using a spoon gently press down and smooth to flatten the ice cream in place. Top the ice cream with a drizzle of the fudge sauce. Place a dollop of the cool whip on top. Garnish the top with a maraschino cherry. Screw on the lids, label, date, and freeze the jars. When ready to serve, remove from the freezer and allow the ice cream to soften a bit and serve immediately.
Notes: I think they’re good as they are; however if desired, drizzle a bit of chocolate syrup over the top and sprinkle with a few chopped nuts before serving. Any flavor of store-bought or homemade ice cream will do. The type of nuts you use are a matter of taste and should be in concert with the flavor of the ice cream you use. You can vary the sauces as well, such as caramel, strawberry or other fruit sauces of choice.
Suggested Variations: There are a ton more; these suggestions are just to help get your creative juices going.
- Strawberry: Use Strawberry Ice Cream in place of the Vanilla, strawberry sauce on top in place of the fudge sauce and sprinkle with a bit of shaved chocolate.
- Chocolate: Use Chocolate Ice cream in place of Vanilla.
- Chocolate Mint: Use Chocolate Mint Ice Cream in place of the vanilla.
- Lemon: Use vanilla sandwich cookies in place of the Oreo’s, Lemon Sorbet in place of the Vanilla Ice Cream and lemon curd in place of the fudge sauce. Omit the nuts and garnish with a bit of lemon zest.
- Coffee: Use Coffee Ice Cream in place of Vanilla. Garnish with a chocolate covered coffee bean.
- Unicorn: Use vanilla sandwich cookies in place of the Oreo’s and mix with a pastel mixture of sprinkles. Use Strawberry or Pastel Swirl Ice cream in the place of Vanilla. Tint the Cool whip to a pink or blue color. Garnish with pastel sprinkles and a variety of pastel colored candy pearls.
- Caramel: Use Caramel in place of the fudge sauce.
That’s it; my easy-peasy Ice Cream Treats In A Jar. Have a bit of fun and make a bunch for the coming summer. They’ll be a blast to make and even more fun to share and eat.
Time to eat…
P.S. Take a moment to check out my recipe booklet’s for sale on this site and purchase some of the tools I used for this “Ice Cream Treats In A Jar” below. 🙂