What is “gratitude” anyway? That certainly wasn’t on my mind when I began my road trip at o’dark-thirty. I started my drive at that ungodly hour to get a jump on the traffic. Sigh! But there were a few more cars on the road than I had expected, but no matter.
After a double shot of espresso from Starbucks, I was feeling really, really good. My mind was buzzing from the coffee and with all the things I had to do when I reached my destination. In our hurried life, it’s very easy to miss the beauty that surrounds us. God knows there are a great many things to fret over and worry about. These frets and worries will often distract us from seeing what’s important and that the answers to our many question are right there in front of us. This morning was an exception.
It was one of those beautiful crisp mornings that will bring on a cozy feeling and thoughts of home. The sun was just starting to rise. It was really hard for me to miss one of the most glorious morning skies, displayed right before me. It was something I had not seen in a very long time. It was the kind of view that makes you instantly reach for your camera. It was nothing short of spectacular. As I marveled at the beauty, without warning, like magic, there was a feeling that just welled up inside of me that took my breath away. That feeling was one that gave me a great sense of hope, the feeling that I was going in the right direction in my life and that all was right with the world.
These feelings happen to all of us from time to time. I’m never quite sure why they occur or what triggers them, but what I do know is I try very hard to hang on to them for as long as I can to make them last. At that moment, I had this overwhelming feeling of gratitude. I began to count my blessings.
With gratitude in mind, this is my life’s list of blessings (Note: These are not listed in any order of importance; they each matter in equal measure.)
“Gratitude & Blessings”
- I have the gift of very good health.
- I have a great and loving family.
- I am blessed with many good friends.
- I live in a great place and have a great home.
- I am married to a wonderful guy.
- I am doing something I truly enjoy.
- I am loved and I love.
- I have the most amazing cat (Samuel).
- I was lucky to have wonderful supportive parents.
- I have the most amazing brothers that I am so very proud of (I wouldn’t have said that as a kid … (hee, hee).
- God has blessed me with a good brain that has enabled me to explore many great opportunities.
- Even with the disability of dyslexia I have learned to overcome many challenges with great success.
- God has blessed me with good common sense, for that I am very grateful.
- I have AWESOME step kids that have been a great blessing to me.
- The gift of grandchildren is the best part of growing older. (PS: I am a VERY young grandma (Big Smile).
- I am blessed with really cool sisters-in-law.
- I have the best nieces and nephews anyone could have.
- I continue to learn and grow every day.
- I am drawing again. Fine art it’s not, but it would appear many are enjoying my work.
- I have been blessed with some amazing mentors in my life, and I am now able to give back that same support to others.
- Although an e-ticket roller coaster ride at times, life has been good, and I can certainly say it hasn’t been dull.
You get the idea. LOL … It was a very long list.
My road trip went much faster than I had expected. Because of this I was able to make my destination in record time, allowing me more time with my special guy (my husband). Despite the speed that I drove, I didn’t even get a ticket and THAT was another blessing … :-).
When you think about gratitude, what are your list of blessings? What makes your heart swell with gratitude and gives you a sense that all is right with the world?
Life’s journey continues…