There is a saying “If you don’t want to hear what someone has to say, don’t ask for their opinion”. I guess I was a glutton for punishment because I went ahead and asked anyway. What was the question? What do you think of my Blog and how do you think I could improve upon it?
It all started with my developing a logo that would accompany my newly formed LLC. (I will post something more about that later). I had developed an awesome logo with the help of an amazing graphic artist. At the suggestion of one of my friends, I reached out to a group of people for their thoughts and suggestions regarding it’s appearance and while I was at it I ask some of them for their thoughts about my blog. What I got back was anything but what I had expected. Now that I think about it I can’t even remember what it was I DID expect.
I am not going to go through all that was said. What I will do is list what I learned from the experience.
- Not everyone has an opinion or are willing to offer it up.
- Most people genuinely want to help, so give them the time and space to do so.
- Listen for a common thread. That is where you will gain your greatest insight.
- Be selective with your question. Broad brush questions don’t work very well.
- Have a mission or purpose in mind before you ask for advice. Off the cuff questions will elicit off the cuff answers.
- Be prepared for anything.
- You will not like all the advice that is offered. Some things will even surprise you.
- Know that some of the responses will be self-serving. There will still be some valuable information in the answer.
- BE PATIENT with the person offering the suggestions. After all, you did ask for their opinion.
- Take some time to sort through all the suggestions for those true nuggets that can offer you some valuable information.
- Just because advice is offered does not mean you have to take it.
After all was said and done I had developed a headache and more information then I had the capacity to accommodate. The end result was an amazing logo and some great information that I will use going forward in my blog. The last thing that I learned was I have some of the most amazing friends and feel lucky knowing they are truly interested in my success with this project.
I am on the threshold of launching my new website that will include my new logo and current blogs. Now I would like to ask my readers the same question. What advice would you offer me regarding my blog? Know that any insights or suggestions offered will be greatly appreciated.
Life’s journey continues…